Wednesday 5 December 2012

Very Hot Chilli Jam

 
 

Great idea for a Christmas hamper

 

Goes well with bickie's and cheese and on meat sandwiches.

 
 
This is an easy to make chilli jam, and if you like it hot this is a great recipe. If not just reduce the amount of chilli you add, it's that simple. I used a mixture of different varieties of red and green chillies from my garden and my neighbour's block. As they became ripe I froze them fresh and whole, then when I had enough to make my jam I simply thawed them, cut off the top stems and finely chopped them in my food processor. I used three x 680g jars of my homemade instant pasta sauce (Ingredients: tomatoes, onion, garlic, basil and salt ). You could use instant pasta sauce from a wholesaler or sometimes you can pick up specials at the supermarket.
 
 
INGREDIENTS
 
3 x 680g Instant pasta sauce
12 cups white wine vinegar
12 cups sugar
12 cups chopped chilli
1 x 50g packet Fowler's Vacola Jam Setta with Pectin
(I picked up the Jam Setta at my local supermarket)
 
12-14 jars that hold 400g each.
 
Add instant pasta sauce, vinegar and chillies to a large thick bottomed pan and bring to the boil. When the mixture is boiling add the sugar. When the sugar is dissolved, turn down the heat and simmer until it has reduced by about half. Add the Jam Setta, mix well and boil for about another five minutes. If the mixture still looks too runny you can add more Jam Setta, keeping in mind that it will still thicken up more as it cools. Pour into sterilised jars and screw lid on firmly to ensure a proper seal. Store the jars in the pantry and refrigerate after opening.
 

 
My homemade instant pasta sauce
 
 

2 comments:

  1. Congratulations Trish on starting your blog! I'm sooo excited for you and look forward to reading future posts.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much Anonymous, :-) I'm very excited too....I hope it's not just another one of my tangents. So much to learn and try to wrap my head around but i"ll give it my best shot.
      Bye for now xo.

      Delete