Wednesday 12 December 2012

The Vegie Patch and Pickled Beetroot


This is my Lovely New Vegie Patch

I've always worried about the chemicals that are used these days on the fruit and veg we buy, so last year I got serious about becoming more self sufficient and growing my own. Hence, "The Vegie Patch"  was made. I love it... it's so rewarding to grow and eat your own produce, makes me feel healthy just thinking about it and I'm sure I'm a couple of kilos lighter haha! So I was on a roll and now wanted a few chooks, once again we set to work and turned part of our back yard into a chook yard and create the Taj Mahal of chook houses...seriously, I could easily live in it. (more about the chooks later)
My first priority for planting in the new garden was a big crop of basil. Each year in March, our friends from Melbourne come for a huge sauce making weekend and on the Saturday I'm usually running around town to all the vegie stalls collecting as much basil as I can find to add to the sauce.(more on the sauce weekend later :-)) Since then I've had some lovely crops of rocket, spring onions, silver beet, chilli, snow peas, beans and beetroot. We're now anxiously waiting on the tomatoes and zucchinis which are just about ready....yay!
 
 


Isn't this the cutest little zucchini you've ever seen?
 
 


I've just picked my second crop of beetroot and decided to pickle it using the recipe from one of the blogs I follow called down---to---earth.
 

FROM THIS!

 
 
 
By the way this is my WHOLE crop here!
 

TO THIS!

 
 
 
Very happy with the result, thank you down---to---earth. xo
 
 
That's all for today so bye for now xo
 
 
 
 

5 comments:

  1. Hi, lovely to see a bit of summer on the other side of the world! It's so cold and miserable here, veg growing seems a long way off. Look forward to seeing your hen house :) xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, yes it's very hot here at the moment, my poor vegies are getting burnt.
      The Chook House will be one of my first posts for next year, so stay tuned.

      Merry Christmas to you and yours xo

      Delete
  2. Replies
    1. Thank you!
      Merry Christmas and best wishes for the New Year to all at Rose Harvest xo

      Delete
  3. Hello tricia, thank you so much for your kind comment :-) your veg patch is looking very green and healthy! here it is cold dark and raining today, and nothing is growing in my garden ...not a bean!
    welcome to blogland, it a nice place xx

    ReplyDelete